Motorman nature of work
A motorman is the member of the oil rig crew responsible for maintenance of the engines. While all members of the oil rig crew help with major repairs, the motorman does routine preventive maintenance, minor repairs, drive trucks and operate specialized hydraulic pumping systems to place cement in wells or to treat wells with chemicals, sand mixtures or gases to stimulate production.
Motormen are employed by oil drilling and well service contractors and by petroleum producing companies.
Motorman work conditions
The motorman usually works long hard days on extended roster systems and either outdoors in all weather conditions or underground. The motorman work is generally hard and physically demanding. Progression to oil and gas well driller or service rig operator is possible with experience.
Motorman duties and tasks
The motorman may perform some or all of the following tasks:
- Align and manipulate sections of pipe or drill stem from a platform on the rig derrick during the removal and replacement of strings of pipe, or drill stem and drill bit
- Assemble pumping equipment and attach pumps and hoses to wellhead
- Assist in setting up, taking down and transporting drilling and service rigs
- Drive well services truck to well site
- May mix chemicals and cements
- Operate and maintain drilling mud systems and pumps during drilling, and mix mud chemicals and additives
- Operate and maintain drilling rig diesel motors, transmissions and other mechanical equipment
- Operate hydraulic pumping systems to pump chemicals, gases, sand, cement or other material into well
- Read gauges to monitor pressure, density, rate and concentration and adjust pumping procedure as required
- Record mudflows and volumes and take samples
- Supervise floorhands and laborers
- Perform other tasks as needed
If you are able to meet these requirements and you are motivated to be part of highly motivated team of people please, apply for a motorman position through one of the links below:
Hero motorman had saved another commuter tooTimes of IndiaMumbai: Saving rail accident victims comes easily to Shyam Sharma, the Central Railway motorman who on Wednesday stopped his train to pick up an injured girl from the tracks at Thane. Last year, he had similarly helped another commuter at Parel.
Enquiry against motorman for jumping signal at Thane stationTimes of IndiaHowever, the motorman reportedly failed to halt the train in time and jumped the danger mark. However, the auxiliary warning system automatically brought the train to a halt. Station officials rushed to the spot and chugged the train into the platform ...
'Driver went beyond his duty to save the girl's life'Times of IndiaShe lay there writhing in pain when to her luck, the motorman of the next train, going in the same direction, saw her from a distance and immediately halted the train. On an impulse, he stopped the train and with the help of some passengers picked her ...and more »