Roustabout jobs and nature of work
A roustabout may be part of the oil drilling teams or crews, or may be on location temporarily
for special operations. The roustabout is commonly hired to perform roustabout jobs to ensure that the skilled
personnel that run an expensive oil drilling rig are not distracted by peripheral tasks, ranging from any unskilled
manual labor on the rig site like cleaning up location to cleaning threads to digging trenches to scraping and
painting rig components.
Roustabouts are employed by oil and gas drilling and well servicing contractors, and by petroleum producing
Roustabouts work conditions
The roustabout usually work long hard days on extended roster systems outdoors in all weather conditions. The
roustabout jobs are generally hard and physically demanding. This type of work can lead to more steady employment
on a drill rig crew.
Roustabout jobs - duties and tasks
The roustabout jobs may include some or all of the following tasks:
- The roustabout assemble or repair oil field equipment using hand and power tools
- The roustabout assist in slotting, welding and inserting casing screens
- The roustabout assist with well development and pumping tests
- The roustabout carry out minor maintenance and repairs, including lubrication
- The roustabout clean equipment, drill and camp sites
- The roustabout dig and clean mud pits and drains
- The roustabout help move drilling rigs and equipment from site to site, set up in the new site and connect
power cables or hoses for water and air supply
- The roustabout help obtain drilling core samples
- The roustabout mix and test drilling fluids, chemicals and grout
- The roustabout operate equipment such as pumps for air, water and mud, and equipment and tools used to
correct problems in drilled holes caused by mechanical breakdowns or by harmful natural conditions
- The roustabout perform other tasks as needed
If you are able to meet these requirements and you are motivated to be part of highly motivated team of people
please, apply for roustabout jobs by clicking the link below:
Lt. Governor: Bob WilliamsFairbanks Daily News-MinerI worked on the offshore platforms in Cook Inlet for two summers as a roustabout for Unocal and still have good friends in the oil patch. I am a proud Nanook with a ... His decision also threw away a billion dollars and four thousand jobs. As Lt ...and more »
Fryburg holding its breath on projectBismarck TribuneBrown said the Morgan Lodge will have a restaurant that's open to the public and will create about 45 full- and part-time jobs. He said the project is far superior to an empty building that has required the removal of rats, bats and a few snakes ...
A pitch for Bob WilliamsKenai Peninsula OnlineBob knows hard work and the challenges facing Alaska's working families and small businesses. Bob grew up working his father's sawmill off the Old Glenn near the confluence of the Knik and Matanuska Rivers. After graduating from Palmer High, Bob ...
Letter: Bob Williams has earned our vote for Lt. Gov.Juneau Empire (subscription)After graduating from Palmer High, Bob earned a petroleum engineering degree with honors from the University of Alaska Fairbanks while working his summers as a roustabout on the Cook Inlet offshore platforms. Since graduation, Bob has been teaching ...