Roustabout jobs and nature of work
A roustabout may be part of the oil drilling teams or crews, or may be on location temporarily
for special operations. The roustabout is commonly hired to perform roustabout jobs to ensure that the skilled
personnel that run an expensive oil drilling rig are not distracted by peripheral tasks, ranging from any unskilled
manual labor on the rig site like cleaning up location to cleaning threads to digging trenches to scraping and
painting rig components.
Roustabouts are employed by oil and gas drilling and well servicing contractors, and by petroleum producing
Roustabouts work conditions
The roustabout usually work long hard days on extended roster systems outdoors in all weather conditions. The
roustabout jobs are generally hard and physically demanding. This type of work can lead to more steady employment
on a drill rig crew.
Roustabout jobs - duties and tasks
The roustabout jobs may include some or all of the following tasks:
- The roustabout assemble or repair oil field equipment using hand and power tools
- The roustabout assist in slotting, welding and inserting casing screens
- The roustabout assist with well development and pumping tests
- The roustabout carry out minor maintenance and repairs, including lubrication
- The roustabout clean equipment, drill and camp sites
- The roustabout dig and clean mud pits and drains
- The roustabout help move drilling rigs and equipment from site to site, set up in the new site and connect
power cables or hoses for water and air supply
- The roustabout help obtain drilling core samples
- The roustabout mix and test drilling fluids, chemicals and grout
- The roustabout operate equipment such as pumps for air, water and mud, and equipment and tools used to
correct problems in drilled holes caused by mechanical breakdowns or by harmful natural conditions
- The roustabout perform other tasks as needed
If you are able to meet these requirements and you are motivated to be part of highly motivated team of people
please, apply for roustabout jobs by clicking the link below:
Sidney Job Service sees decrease in job seekersSidney Herald Leader“Most jobs fall in between that at $11 to $17 (per hour) for office work, hotel workers, bartenders, retail, hospital, school positions and farm workers. The $17 to $24 (per hour) range includes roustabout, work over rigs and truck drivers,” she said ...
In-demand roustabouts handle range of dutiesChron.comThe oil and gas industry, including the shale plays in South Texas and the Permian Basin in West Texas, have an extremely high level of drilling activity, which requires hundreds of workers to keep operations going. "One of the hottest jobs in West ...and more »
Bakken wives, girlfriends worry about jobs as oil fallsWashington TimesSammi Mae Tuter's husband works as a roustabout pusher, working with his company since June 2014. Tuter and her 1-year-old son moved to Williston in August from Oregon. “We have had good luck with the 'boom,'” she said. Her husband's job doesn't ...and more »
Oil uncertainty spells doubts for Big LakeSan Angelo Standard TimesIt has coffee and pastries, plus everything else a roving roustabout could need: game room, Taco Bell, check cashing, laundry machines, portable vacuum cleaners, high-performance scrubbing windshield wipers and an expansive Beer Cave. “Shower customer ...
Big Lake's future as uncertain as oil priceMidland Reporter-TelegramIt has coffee and pastries, plus everything else a roving roustabout could need: game room, Taco Bell, check cashing, laundry machines, portable vacuum cleaners, high-performance scrubbing windshield wipers and an expansive Beer Cave. “Shower Customer ...