Roustabout jobs and nature of work
A roustabout may be part of the oil drilling teams or crews, or may be on location temporarily
for special operations. The roustabout is commonly hired to perform roustabout jobs to ensure that the skilled
personnel that run an expensive oil drilling rig are not distracted by peripheral tasks, ranging from any unskilled
manual labor on the rig site like cleaning up location to cleaning threads to digging trenches to scraping and
painting rig components.
Roustabouts are employed by oil and gas drilling and well servicing contractors, and by petroleum producing
Roustabouts work conditions
The roustabout usually work long hard days on extended roster systems outdoors in all weather conditions. The
roustabout jobs are generally hard and physically demanding. This type of work can lead to more steady employment
on a drill rig crew.
Roustabout jobs - duties and tasks
The roustabout jobs may include some or all of the following tasks:
- The roustabout assemble or repair oil field equipment using hand and power tools
- The roustabout assist in slotting, welding and inserting casing screens
- The roustabout assist with well development and pumping tests
- The roustabout carry out minor maintenance and repairs, including lubrication
- The roustabout clean equipment, drill and camp sites
- The roustabout dig and clean mud pits and drains
- The roustabout help move drilling rigs and equipment from site to site, set up in the new site and connect
power cables or hoses for water and air supply
- The roustabout help obtain drilling core samples
- The roustabout mix and test drilling fluids, chemicals and grout
- The roustabout operate equipment such as pumps for air, water and mud, and equipment and tools used to
correct problems in drilled holes caused by mechanical breakdowns or by harmful natural conditions
- The roustabout perform other tasks as needed
If you are able to meet these requirements and you are motivated to be part of highly motivated team of people
please, apply for roustabout jobs by clicking the link below:
Dennis William “Denny” DavidsonGreybullstandardAfter leaving the University of Wyoming, Denny worked at a variety of jobs: as a ranch hand in Montana; a roustabout in the Oregon Basin oil fields (he worked his way to a superintendent's job); as a hired hand on farms, maintenance man at a cannery ...
BOMBS FOR SALEOxford AmericanI haven't had a weird job since I was educated enough to avoid one—though my experience as a highway construction traffic controller and oil-field roustabout qualify me for all sorts of low-skilled unprofessional labor. My three years in New Orleans ...
Oil patch showing resilienceLongview News-JournalThe amount of money coming in "is just crazy," and it's reverberating in oil-rich regions that have been otherwise economically slammed after drilling rigs and jobs were cut, said Rick Jennings, CEO of Midland-based Atlantic Resources Co. Traffic is ...and more »
In-demand roustabouts handle range of dutiesChron.comThe oil and gas industry, including the shale plays in South Texas and the Permian Basin in West Texas, have an extremely high level of drilling activity, which requires hundreds of workers to keep operations going. "One of the hottest jobs in West ...and more »
The End of Oil Jobs as We Know ThemBloombergA report last week from global outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas showed 20,193, or 38 percent, of the 53,041 announced job cuts in January were in the energy industry. Oilfield service company Schlumberger last month said it will eliminate ...and more »